Our Mission: Inward. Outward. Together.
At Trinity ECC we seek to grow together, both inward in our spiritual lives and outward in our relationships with each other, our community, and our world.
To bring the hope of Jesus to a broken and hurting world.
Trinity was born out of three southside churches that came together in 1947 to form one church: Trinity Mission Covenant Church, now Trinity Evangelical Covenant Church. The three churches that formed Trinity ECC were Tabernacle Covenant Church (founded 1877), Mission Covenant Church of Grand Crossing (founded 1892), and Parkside Covenant Church (founded 1888). In 1958, Trinity Evangelical Covenant Church began its ministry in Oak Lawn, Illinois with the building of our current church at the corner of 93rd and Pulaski. Since its founding, Trinity ECC has gone through many transitions but has remained a congregation that seeks to grow together.
The sanctuary houses many architectural elements that have theological meanings. The motif of the sanctuary is the triangle, a symbol of the Trinity. It is featured in the chancel furniture, the organ grill, and the window above the balcony. The pulpit carving is three fish in circle inside a triangle, signifying that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit cooperate in human salvation (1 John 5). The chancel furniture itself tells a story: The pulpit, proclaiming and hearing the Word of God; the baptismal font, recognizing Christ’s cleansing and redeeming grace; the table of Holy Communion, experiencing the fellowship of Christ with God’s people. The cross that hangs at the front of the sanctuary reminds us both of his sacrifice and his resurrection. He is with us always.
At Trinity ECC we embrace and remember our rich history while seeking to grow into the church God is calling us to be now for the southwest side. We would love you to be a part of our growing community.
Our Executive Board
- Melissa Lettiere Panush, Chair
- Patricia Anderson, Vice Chair / Pacesetters Co-Chair
- Pat Klutcharch, Board Secretary
- Rich Swanson, Treasurer
- Greg Goetz, Trustees Chair
- Kelly Bradbury, Christian Education Chair
- Carol Raines, Human Resources Chair
- Pat Klutcharch, Miriam Circle of Covenant Women Co-Chair
- Lorraine Weszely, Miriam Circle of Covenant Women Co-Chair
- Pat Petersen, Pacesetters Co-Chair
- Barb Bailey, Pryme Tymers Co-Chair
- Priscilla Swanson, Pryme Tymers Co-Chair
- Pastor Mark Westlind, Ex-Officio Member
- Pastor Alicia Reese, Ex-Officio Member
The Evangelical Covenant Church
Trinity ECC is part of the larger Evangelical Covenant Church which is a rapidly growing multiethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents of the world. Founded in 1885 by Swedish Pietist immigrants, the ECC values the Bible as the word of God, the gift of God’s grace and ever-deepening spiritual life that comes through a faith with Jesus Christ, the importance of extending God’s love and compassion to a hurting world, and the strength that comes from unity within diversity. We are united by Christ in a holy covenant of churches empowered by the Holy Spirit to obey the Greatest Commandment and the Great Commission: to love God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind, to love our neighbors as ourselves, and to go into all the world and make disciples.
We are a part of the Central Conference of the ECC.
We are also connected to the ECC’s seminary, North Park Theological Seminary.